A Day In The A Blue Mountains.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I welcome you to take your time and browse , visiting my bush garden and discovering the wonders of my city within a national park; Blue Mountains National Park. Via my blog you will travel with me through the successes, trials and tribulations of gardening on a bush block. I share with you my patchwork & quilting, knitting, paper crafts, cooking and life in general.

Saturday 19 March 2011

Autumn Equinox Down Under.

In the southern hemisphere the Autumn Equinox (Mabon, Alban Elued or Winter Finding, Mean Fomhair) occurs around the 20th -22nd March. This year, in the Blue Mountains, Autumn Equinox happens on the 21st March, at 9.21 a.m. to be exact.
Nevertheless, worldwide, night and day are of equal length at the equinox.
Australians do not normally celebrate the Autumn Equinox. 
The closest celebration to this event is Saint Patrick's Day which is celebrated, on the east coast, with a parade through the streets of Sydney.
The switch from summer to autumn, in the southern hemisphere, is much more subtle than in the northern hemisphere.
In Australia the majority of trees do not change colour nor loose their leaves in autumn.
There are not many Australian deciduous native trees; Silky Oak, White and Red Cedars and the Boab Tree, are a few.
Some small towns, for example, Mount Wilson, or small cities, like Bathurst, have streets lined with deciduous trees or parks and gardens filled with them.  Their autumnal colours are such a novelty that during the season a pilgrimage to such places as the Southern Highlands and Mount Wilson is not unusual.  These stands of mostly European trees are a part of Australia's British past, when, during the first settlement, newcomers, sickening for reminders of home filled their gardens with plants from their homeland to console themselves.

Moonrise at sunset over Napier Range and Boab Tree.
The Boab Tree looses its leaves during the dry winter season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcome

I welcome your comments; they are little personal notes to me. I enjoy reading what each of you have to say. Thanks for dropping by.