A Day In The A Blue Mountains.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I welcome you to take your time and browse , visiting my bush garden and discovering the wonders of my city within a national park; Blue Mountains National Park. Via my blog you will travel with me through the successes, trials and tribulations of gardening on a bush block. I share with you my patchwork & quilting, knitting, paper crafts, cooking and life in general.

Tuesday 8 March 2011

Pancake Day.

Pancake Day, Shrove Tuesday, Pancake Tuesday, evolved from the need to use up all the luscious dairy products in the larder or pantry which would not keep for the forty day Lenten abstinence.

As promised, here is my pancake recipe.
It's been some years since I acquired this recipe so I'm not one hundred percent sure where I found it, but I do think it was in Table Magazine.
But let me assure you, they are delicious!  And gluten free too and well worth the extra effort.
Yogurt Buckwheat Pancakes.
Makes 12 Pancakes.
1 cup (150g.) buckwheat flour
1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
2 tablespoon caster sugar
350g Greek style creamy yogurt.
3/4 cup (180ml.) soy milk
4 eggs separated
Apple puree
Whipped Cream or Vanilla Yogurt
Fresh fruit if desired.

1.  Sift together flour and baking powder into a large bowl and stir through sugar.
2.  In a separate bowl use an electric mixer to beat yogurt,  milk and egg yolks until smooth.  Combine with dry ingredients.
3.  In a clean, dry bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.  Lightly fold egg whites into batter.
4.  Melt a little butter in a frying pan on medium heat.  Pour in 2 tablespoons of batter and cook 3 minutes, until bubbles appear on surface.  Turn over pancake and cook for 1 minute.  Remove from pan and keep warm.  Repeat with remaining batter.
5.  Layer pancakes with apple puree and top with a dollop of thickened cream or vanilla yogurt.  Accompany with fruit if desired.

If you have a barbecue plate, these pancakes are cooked in no time, because you can load them on at least four at a time, depending on the size of your hot plate.  It's the only way I cook pancakes as I don't have the patience to stand over a hot stove cooking one pancake at a time!
Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I am intrigued! Only one type of flour!? I will definitely try this out thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmariek: Yes, the beaten egg-whites give the pancakes a definite lightness not found in the usual buckwheat pancake. I'm sure you will enjoy these. Do let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete

Comments Welcome

I welcome your comments; they are little personal notes to me. I enjoy reading what each of you have to say. Thanks for dropping by.