A Day In The A Blue Mountains.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I welcome you to take your time and browse , visiting my bush garden and discovering the wonders of my city within a national park; Blue Mountains National Park. Via my blog you will travel with me through the successes, trials and tribulations of gardening on a bush block. I share with you my patchwork & quilting, knitting, paper crafts, cooking and life in general.

Tuesday 15 January 2013

Making Do

Some days, most things are an effort.
Some days, the shops are too far away.
Some days, it's easier to make do.
And making do can produce the most amazingly flavoursome meals.


In the refrigerator crisper I found two beetroot and half a head of broccoli.
From the pantry I took 225g puy lentils, olive oil, cumin powder and pine nuts.
From the garden I took a handful of baby rocket, a few sprigs chocolate mint, eau de cologne mint, mint, lemon thyme, thyme, basil, lemon balm, marjoram,lemon scented tea tree, a few peas, blue berries, oregano flowers, and nasturtium leaves.
The lentils were cooked as per instructions on the pack and rinsed well, then fried quickly in hot olive oil with about one tablespoon ground cumin and salt and pepper to taste.
The broccoli (broken into flowerettes) was lightly steamed.
The beetroot was grated and cooked Russian style with butter and lemon juice and salt and pepper.
All were simply layered, puy lentils first, Russian Style beetroot next, steamed broccoli next and garden greens etcetera sprinkled on top with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese and toasted pine nuts.
Drizzle with more olive oil.
Serve immediately with lemon wedges and enjoy the flavour bursts.

Here's a recipe for the beetroot.  I did  not use the flour to thicken, just cooked until the water had all evaporated.

I would normally have added an onion in there somewhere except the one onion I found in the pantry was ready to explode!


3 comments:

  1. Mmm, sounds delicious SP. Amazing what you can do when you "make do." I have a philosophy recently developed that goes "there's always a 'work around'." - Dave

    ReplyDelete

Comments Welcome

I welcome your comments; they are little personal notes to me. I enjoy reading what each of you have to say. Thanks for dropping by.